Friday, July 27, 2007

NOFIT STATE CIRCUS—QUESTION #1

Going into the NoFit State Circus I really had no idea what to expect. I was excited to see what the show would bring and how I would feel about it. Many of the design elements of the show were incredible, however, they didn’t really further my understanding of the play itself, the entire meaning/story line I am still a tad bit in the dark about, but they did help me to understand the situations that was going on at given points throughout the show.

One element that I really enjoyed was the use of props and costumes. My favorite scene where these elements really stood out was the scene at the beach. The performers were dressed in different types of swimwear and swim caps, which gave the image of them swimming up in the air much more effect. Throughout the audience beach balls were also being thrown around as to possibly imitate a beach party with a lot of guests. Using props such as a beach ball was also effective in including the audience in what was going on around them, instead of simply just standing around and watching. It made the atmosphere much more enjoyable to be apart of.

The set was also effective in helping me to understand what was going on in each scene. One scene that I found it very effective was the trapeze scene where the two lovers were angry at each other and fighting and then made up in the end. The trapeze itself was an element on which a fight could be staged. When the male character would toss around the female character, going back and forth, up and down back onto the trapeze, there was a sense of argument and frustration going on. At one point in this scene, the male dropped the female but she just continued on like it was nothing. Although this was not supposed to happen, I felt like it just added to the situation. The lovers were mad at each other and the woman fell off the edge but the mad was right there to pick her back up and start over, possibly symbolizing that he has forgiven her for whatever it is they were fighting about. Shortly after the fall they make up on top of the trapeze. So although there was a slight glitch in the routine, it really didn’t matter, it looked like it could have been there all along.

For the most part, there would be nothing that I would change with any of the design elements. Each element had its own intriguing qualities that added to the shows eclectic nature. And although the actual plot of the show still remains in the dark, the show was extremely enjoyable and kept my attention the entire time, leaving me very satisfied.

No comments: